Thursday, February 2, 2012

Grandma The Fifth





This past week my paternal grandma Janice Cameron passed away of complications from a procedure relating to colon cancer.   This is my memory of her. 

My earliest memories are when she lived in the bay area and I was in elementary school.  I am Al Cameron the 5th.   I figured since I was the 5th my grandma was also the 5th, so I started calling her Grandma the 5th.   The name stuck ever since.

Grandma the 5th knew how to spoil her grandchildren.  It was ice cream for breakfast, 'soft drinks' (usually orange soda) with every meal, and frequent clothes shopping during my younger years.  She was a passionate person, both about those she loved and about causes close to her heart.  I'm not sure anyone knows how many letters she has written to congressmen, church leaders, and newspaper editors, but I would guess in the hundreds.

You can't mention Grandma the 5th without mentioning her cats.  She was truly the cat woman.  I don't know how many cats she had over the years but there was no such thing as a stray cat where she lived....they became one of the family.

I'll close with a memory I'll never forget.  I just turned 16 and Grandma the 5th was moving from the bay area to Phoenix AZ.   She needed someone to come help her pack up and drive the U-Haul 750 miles.  My dad nominated me.  I arrived in the bay area to her place with not a thing packed, the TV still on, and dishes in the sink.   We (let's be honest, mostly I) packed her belongings into plastic garbage bags and loaded up the truck.  I remember one trip down the stairs, the trip with the kitchen knives poking through the bags and stabbing me in the back.   We loaded up into the small cab of the truck, Grandma the 5th, myself, and 3 cats!   Gas stops were eventful.  We harnessed the cats and 'walked' them.   Of course one got loose.   Try chasing a cat around a truck stop, that's a 30 minute delay.   We arrived safe and sound and it's a memory that will stay with me forever.  
Grandma the 5th will be missed by those she loved.  I certainly will miss her love and advice.   Her advice always started the same, "Well grandson.....".   She touched many people throughout her time on this earth and ultimately helped make my father the man he is.    I'm grateful to have been called her family and look forward to seeing her again after this life. I love you Grandma.

Al The Fifth
July 2011 Grandma The Fifth, Great Grandma Alice
Alex & Kynlie

1 comment:

SupaFlowaPowa said...

awww, that's just precious. I love the story Al! Grandma the Fifth was lucky to have such an awesome grandson as you to drive her on that fun road trip, love her and remember her.

ps. love the new banner.