When Al first started the process for the manager position with Integra he said we would want to live in either Austin or Dallas. I had only been to Austin a couple times and heard from Al for the last 6 years about how great it was and how cool it would be to live in Austin. Grandma Cameron was so great to come watch Alex and Cole while we were able to go visit both cities and see what we liked better. The Polarvortex had hit Dallas again and it was freezing. Al had work meetings both the days we were there, so we really only had 1/2 day to drive around to the cities we could potentially live in. The first night we were there I wanted to see the temple so here we are. It's definitely not the SLC temple, but beautiful in it's own way.
While Al was in work meetings the next day I met up with my friend Kristin that grew up in Dallas. We also lived together in Vegas, LA, and now maybe Dallas. She was supposed to pick me up at my hotel around 9 when I got a text from her that said have you looked out the window? It was a blizzard and supposedly this never happens in Texas, weird? We had plans to get a facial and massage that afternoon which got canceled due to the weather. Krisitn was a trooper and still came to get me and drove me around that entire day. We saw the famous Eye statue downtown, went to Neiman Marcus and may have purchased some shoes for my Christmas present from Al :)
We went everywhere that day and our last stop was the Galleria which was so awesome. Too bad half the stores were closed due to the weather. Utah would laugh in their faces because it was tiny bit of snow.
After Al's meetings on Friday we met up with Diane who is my my moms half sisters and brothers half sister, complicated? Does that mean she's my Aunt? Anyway she is a realtor and took us around the suburbs of Dallas which I loved. So family friendly, perfect neighborhoods for kids, and amazing schools. The Mavericks just happened to be playing the Jazz that night and that's basically a sign since we met at the Jazz. After the game we had a 3 hour drive to Austin and thankfully our kids were at home nestled in their cozy beds.
There are so many yummy restaurants in Austin to try. It's a foodies dream which should be a no brainer for me, but hello I live in LA and nothing will ever beat that. We started our morning off at Juan In A Million which is this ghetto Mexican joint. I ate an entire basket of chips and salsa before our food even came. I heart Mexican.
We spent the day driving around Lakeway which is ultimately where we thought we would live if we moved to Austin. It was beautiful, but too slow and quiet for me. There was a Chick Fil A, but it wasn't enough. We went to lunch with Brayden and Stephanie and then spent the afternoon with Aaron and Celia who were in our ward in Glendale. They showed us around Cedar Park and I felt like that was more what I was used to as far as everyday stuff for me and the kids. We found a beautiful neighborhood that was being built overlooking a golf course and lots of green hills that we thought we would want to build in if we moved there. That night the restaurant we wanted to eat at had a 2 hour wait so we had donuts at Gourough's first and then ate dinner. Gourdouhg's was so amazing and I'm not a donut lover.
It was so amazing we went back the next morning for breakfast...lol At the end up our trip I liked Dallas better and Al liked Austin. I was really surprised especially since all everyone talks about is Austin. I liked the suburbs of Dallas better and what it had to offer. I felt like Al and I were being torn at two different directions which is not what you want when you have to make a decision like this together. At the end of the day he was understanding and said you are the one that is doing stuff with the kids all day so lets move to Dallas, but in 5 years don't tell me you want to move to Austin :)
So there it is, Dallas. Lots of big changes coming our way including hot humid weather that I may die in.


No comments:
Post a Comment