Last week we were at lunch with some friends at a little cafe when Alex fell off a chair and it somehow sliced 2 of his fingers on his left hand. I couldn't tell if he was hurt at first and then I saw blood everywhere. I took him to the bathroom to wash it off and see how bad it was. The cut was really deep and he wouldn't stop crying so I knew it was bad.
I called Al and asked him to meet us so we could take him to the hospital. His fingers were so swollen when we got there we though he might have broke them too. I've never had to do anything in the ER so this was all new to me. I'm sure 2 boys will add more ER visits to my life.
The waiting started at 12:30. Around 1:00 they gave him some Tylenol which I think helped him a little bit. Around 1:30 or 2:00 they took x-rays of his hand. They took us to a room to wait in and informed us that the x-rays weren't clear and we needed to redo them, ugh. There was a trauma case that arrived so that delayed things a bit. Around 3 we were told the Dr would be there in 1 hour.
In the meantime we were told Alex couldn't have anything to eat or drink since they would be sedating him to give him stitches. He was so thirsty, he would point at my purse, open his mouth and go ahhhh, so sad.
One of the nurses wrapped his hand for him and told us it would feel better. He screamed like this until we took it off.
Around 4:30 or 5:00 we got moved to the room where they would give him the stitches. Al had his ipad so we turned on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Little Einsteins to distract him.
He kept touching and picking at the cut. I couldn't look, it was grossing me out.
Finally around 6:30 the Plastic Surgeon showed up!! 6 hours later, seriously? It was a long painful process. It was heartbreaking to watch them put the IV in, so I left and came back when he was almost sedated. The stitches were quick and in the middle of them Alex started babbling. We had to wait for an hour afterwards to make sure he didn't have a reaction to the medicine. It was pretty funny to hear him babble in slow motion. He finally got a drink and some Teddy Grahams and he was a happy boy again.
At 7:30 we were out of the hospital with 8 stitches in Alex's little fingers. So glad they weren't broken and that he's ok. We kept his hand wrapped for a few days and he was pretty good about letting us wrap it. 1 week later and his fingers are almost healed. Babies recover so fast, amazing.







2 comments:
ER visits are never fun and always take f.o.r.e.v.e.r.... So glad he's okay though! Funny that Fox's favorite shows are Mickey Mouse and Little Einstein too - he doesn't really care for any other Disney channel show! Hope you're all doing great!
Our one and only ER visit involving Derek was at the ER at UCLA when we lived in Westwood Village. Worst experience of my life!! I hear ya.
Poor little man.
Post a Comment