Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Road Trip

Our first night we stayed in Victorville which was only about 1 hour from our first stop, Calico Ghost Town.  Al was already annoyed about this stop so you can imagine how much he loved all the others :)  
Calico was a tourist trap, but that was obvious before we even got there.  They charge you per person before you even park your car. 
This building is made out of glass bottles and looks even more amazing on the inside.
The main thing I wanted to do was take the boys on a train ride.  It was closed for maintenance issues when we first got there, so we walked around for a bit and luckily it opened right before we left. 
Calico Ghost Town was a quick visit but fun to see.   There is also a Calico Ghost Town at Knotsberry Farm which just happens to be made after this because Mr Knott bought and restored the town in the 1950s.  Something else we will have to see someday.
Thank goodness our car has climate control for the driver and passenger.  Al is always hot and I always want to be warm with my seat warmer on!!
It was only the first day, so much excitement to contain.  I was mostly worried for our kids and our sanity.
I did whatever it took to help Cole be entertained and quiet.  This is him ripping my magazine to shreds.  
and this is when we got out at the Grand Canyon.  That paper blew everywhere in the parking lot so to prevent getting a ticket for littering in a State Park I chased that paper as it was blowing in different directions.
On our way we saw a bunch of signs for helicopter tours.  We tried to schedule one and thought that would be cooler than staring at it on foot, but they were already booked.  We put it on our to do list for next time we are in Vegas.  Cole wanted to walk the entire time and Alex didn't want to take a picture.  At least you can see our true feelings in this picture.
The views were breathtaking and I'm so glad Al stopped for us even though it was out of the way. 
The best part of the Grand Canyon were these Asian tourists taking pictures of Alex and Cole.  They asked Al if they could so I started taking pictures of them taking pictures, so funny.  They love that blond hair!!

No comments: